Connee's Days

Friday, April 21, 2006

A Little About Me! Early Years!!

Thursday, April 27, 2006
College
I went almost 2 years to Taylor University...it is a small Christian College. While I was there I married a guy from Michigan and we moved to Michigan...That's how I ended up in Michigan instead of Indiana or West Virginia. I finished up my college education at Siena Heights University. It was a small Catholic school. I'm not Catholic but they were very good to me. I didn't have money to go to school. My husband was injured in an industrial accident and could not work for almost a year. I tried to apply at another Christian College that was nearby (Adrian College) but they said, " Wait until your husband goes back to work and you have some money and then come back". That same day, I went to the Catholic College out of desperation...infact I was a little frightened...all the students had to wear uniforms and the nuns were in their habits and all looked alike to me. But the admissions office said I wouldn't have to pay anything until I graduated and got a job. Can you imagine that? I didn't even have to wear a uniform...since I wasn't Catholic and I was married. I rode with a nurse who worked in Adrian each morning...I left at 7:30 and didn't get home until after 6:00 each day because I had to ride home with Irma and she didn't get out of work until 5;30. It was a long day, but I could usually use their library and typing rooms (no computers then!) and get most of my work done at school. Usually I packed my lunch, but soon I met some girls and we went out for Lunch everyday. It seems so funny now, but that was when the fast food hamburg places first started. We went to Burger King and got fries and a burger for $.26. I just drank water to save money.Before I even graduated I was getting contracts in the mail wanting me to work for nearby school systems. I was ready to jump and take the first one, but the nuns told me to wait...that I would get plenty more offers and even better offers. They were right. I graduated in December and had a job by January 7th. I was teaching 4th grade in Adrian, Michigan about 15 minutes from my house. I loved it! "My own classroom" and fourth grade students were wonderful. But I did have 35 students....what a full room!
# posted by Connee @ 11:53 AM 0 comments
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Connee's Beginnings
I was born in Huntington, West Virginia. My parents moved to South Charleston, West Virginia shortly after I was born. I have a brother named Stephen and two sisters; Donna and Sharon Lynn (who we all call Lynn). We lived in the cities of Huntington, South Charleston, Rock Lake Village, and St. Albans. I graduated from St. Albans High School and went to college in Indiana at a school called Taylor University.
# posted by Connee @ 11:13 AM 0 comments

1 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Connee,

    I read your blog from April 27 detailing your college days and was interested in your story on how you came to Siena Heights. I am the Director of Communications at Siena and wondered if I could use this blog for our alumni publication. Each month we try to get an alum to tell a story about their Siena days, and thought your story would be perfect!

    If you are interested, please email me at dgoodnou@sienahts.edu or call me at 517-264-7141. Our deadline is approaching, so let me know. I think it would be a GREAT story!

    Thanks,

    Doug

     

Post a Comment

<< Home